星期六, 9月 23, 2006

Tips to apply Slime to your bicycle

I have tried to slime treat my tires. 2 weeks ago I got a flat by some very trivial thorn seed.

I bought slime from Sportsmart. It is for treating tires to prevent future flats. I finally got some time to apply it today. For bicycles, the recommendation is 4 oz for each tire. The bottle contains 8 oz.

Somehow I treated the back tires first. First problem: It is very hard to find out if you used half of the bottle, since the slime is green it is very hard to see through the bottle. I would suggest to treat the front tire first. Because I would think the front would be more susceptible to flats then the rear one. So if you accidentally put more slime in the front, there would be enough for the rear.

Problem 2: My front tire repel some of the slime. I got slime everywhere, my tire valve, my pump, my tire gauge, my tire, my wheel, my floor. First, I think I should not apply the slime at 6 o'clock. Apply it at 12 o'clock. This is not the time but the angle of the tire valve. Do this so that the slime has place to flow. Second, Since I could not see how much I squeeze in on the rear tire. I squeeze, stop for a while to check the bottle. But I just squeeze in everything in the front. I think squeezing some in, let it flow, then squeeze some more, repeat a few times would help.

Remember to spin the tires to even out the slime or ride the bike immediately when you are done.

One final thought. May be squeezing some slime to the front, screw the tire valve back, spin the tire, then squeeze some to the back, screw the tire valve, spin tire. Then go back to the front, then the back. Do that a few times. May be this would solve problem 1? This might more evenly distribute slime on both tires. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Good Luck, God Bless, JC

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update: After thinking about it. I think the best angle is not 12 o'clock. More likely to be 9 to 11 or 1 to 3 o'clock.

Another thought is if you have carpet floor. You better cover it up. If slime is everywhere, the worse place you want them to be on is the carpet.

New updates.

沒有留言: